Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cell Phones Cause Cancer?

A report by the World Health Organization that cell phones may contribute to cancer has caused a frenzy on the Internet. Establishment scientists have dismissed the report. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer at the American Cancer Society, stated: "When we as consumers hear 'possibly carcinogenic,' we freak. But the data is not at all certain and needs further study." Great to hear the top doctor at the American Cancer Society thinks threats of cancer are overrated! Meanwhile, Donald Berry of the MD Anderson Cancer Center of Houston calls it "just an urban myth that keeps coming up. The panel somehow decided that there is maybe something here that's possibly carcinogenic, which ranks with everything else in the world."
Personally, I think they're right on this one, as the link between cell phones and brain cancer seems absurd. First of all, when I use my phone, it usually is on speaker so I don't have it next to my ear. Further, I rarely use my phone anyways, so instead of having it on my ear, I have it in my front pants pocket right next to my crotch. Who's the moron now, overconcerned scientists?

WHO: Cellphones possibly carcinogenic
Liz Szabo and Mary Brophy Marcus, USA TODAY
6-1-11
http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/medical/cancer/story/2011/06/WHO-Cellphones-possibly-carcinogenic/47896306/1

No comments: